
Figure 1. Dayton United Methodist Church today. Courtesy of http://www.umc.org website.
Methodist services were first held in Dayton in the school house by Rev. William Wilson in 1830 (Hatton). A Methodist class was also organized (Wheeler). In the early years the church was served by circuit riders. Dayton was on the circuit assigned to Rev. Hackaliah Vredenburg, who with Rev. James Armstrong, introduced Methodism to much of Northwestern Indiana (Detzler). The circuit rider came by every two to four weeks at this early date (Sweet). The ministers were usually assigned for a term of one year, though a few served for two years. They rarely lived in the community in these early days. The official name of the church at this time was the Methodist Episcopal (ME) Church, which referred to its method of governance.
In 1836 the Dayton ME Church was on the circuit assigned to Joseph White. A native of Pennsylvania, Rev. White is described by Jesse Wheeler in his history of the church as “an old time preacher on temperance.” The following year Rev. Hakaliah Vredenburg was assigned to this circuit. He traveled his circuit, which sometimes covered 300-400 miles, on horseback and on foot. He was not paid enough to support a family, and at one point he made a home from an old log barn (Wheeler).
The Methodists erected their first church building in 1843, a small (18×24 ft.) frame building with a bell on Lot 11 of Beara’s addition to Dayton, on the southwest corner of Harrison and Main Streets. In 1858-1859, the minster was Rev. Jesse Hill. In 1862, when local Civil War volunteers went into camp at Lafayette, they discovered that Rev. Hill would be their chaplain. After the War, from 1873 to 1874, he again served the Dayton ME Church.
In 1866, during the pastorate of Rev. John Demott the Methodists built a new brick church at the corner of Pennsylvania and Walnut, under the direction of James Cohee. David Bare (Bear) was the brick mason, and Michael McNulty was the hod carrier. The brass and copper bell from the 1843 church, probably cast around 1815, was moved to the new building. A bottle was buried (and not found until 1927) which contained a note that listed those responsible for the building, and named the local merchants: Ezra Frankenfield, V. S. Burton, James Cohee and Moran, and Jacob Kall (Kahl), hotel keeper (Sesqui 77).
From 1867 to 1869, the Dayton Academy, which was struggling financially in the aftermath of the War, came under the sponsorship of the Methodist Church Conference. In 1870 the principal was Rev. William M. Fraley, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church (Courier, August 16, 1870). The last couple of years it may have been integrated into the township school system. By 1873, the Academy had closed.
From November 8 to 11, 1870, Prof. J. A. Butterfield’s Musical Convention took place here, closing with a “grand concert” at the Methodist church (Courier, Nov. 12, 1870). This seems to be a series of music classes, concluding with a public performance. The newspaper pronounced it a great success.
At times the Dayton church shared a pastor with another church: 1882-1896, with Mulberry; 1898-1902 with Clarks Hill; and 1905-1910 with Buck Creek (Sesqui 77). In 1911 the church hired its first full-time minister, John W. Hangar. The Dayton Board found Rev. Hangar through an advertisement, and the Bishop approved the appointment (Wheeler).
Improvements were made to the church in 1908, when a balcony was added on the south wall and the front door was moved from the center to the east side of the front of the building. In 1915 a clock for the sanctuary was donated by J. M. Sieferts, a clockmaker in Mulberry. In 1927 more renovations were made. While excavating for a basement with teams of horses, the north wall of the church collapsed. One man suffered a broken leg, and a team of horses was killed. The work went forward nevertheless. The balcony on the south wall was removed and an educational unit was added. In 1936, an organ was installed. In 1940 and again in the 1950s, the interior of the church was redecorated.
A beloved pastor who served from 1950 to 1955 was Rev. W. Earl Moore. He was familiar to the congregation, since he had served neighboring churches. An addition was made to the north side of the church at this time.
The Dayton United Methodist Church purchased land south of town in 1968 and started a building project. This culminated in 1975 when the new church building was dedicated on May 3. Rev. Marvin Grooms was the pastor during this work. The new sanctuary would seat 280 with an overflow area seating 140. The building contained 14 classrooms, a pastor’s study, a large nursery, and a kitchen area (J/C, 9 Feb. 1968, 3 May 1975). The bell and the sanctuary clock were moved from the 1866 building. During Rev. Grooms’s pastorate, altar calls became part of the service and a mission titled Lay Witness was begun (Wheeler).

Figure 4. Rev. Walls as Methodist Circuit Rider,
Dayton Home Town Days 1988. Photo: Journal and Courier.
Rev. John Walls came to Dayton in May 1988, and stayed until about 2009. He was a very popular minister, and under his pastorate the church was enlarged with a new sanctuary, a gymnasium, and other rooms. Until about 2018, the church operated a nursery school.
Sources:
1878 Atlas.
Anonymous [J.M.W.?]. “History of Dayton Methodist Episcopal Church.” Manuscript. Greencastle, Ind.: DePauw University, abt. 1919.
Detzler, Jack J. History of the Northwest Indiana Conference, 1852-1951. Nashville, TN: Parthenon, 1953.
Hatton, Israel. “_______ in Dayton, Indiana.” Manuscript. Greencastle, Ind.: DePauw University, 1939. (unsigned but internal references to Hatton and date)
Newspapers: Journal, Courier, and Journal and Courier.
Sesqui 77: “Methodist Church.” Dayton, Ind.: Sesquicentennial Committee, 1977.
Sweet, William W. Circuit Rider Days in Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: Stewart, 1916.
Wheeler, Jesse. History of the Dayton United Methodist Church. Dayton, Ind.: privately printed, 1980 and 1983.





















